Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Port Fairy - Great Ocean Road

    April 25, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We set the alarm to 5 in the morning so we have time to drive to the nearby Lake Elizabeth, walk some kilometers and hopefully watch Platypus in the dawn. After watching out for them unsuccessfully for half an hour we decided to walk a bit around the lake. Just as we intended to go back to the car and have breakfast we spotted one of the elusive animals just three meters away from us... After a few seconds it dove down and reappeared a minute later. We watched it completely enchanted until it didn't reappear.
    Happyily we made our way back to have a well deserved breakfast and plan our day. A short drive later we were on the Great Ocean Road again and drove in direction of Cape Otway with the "most important Lighthouse in Australia". At 19.50$ it is most probably the most expensive one... There were some walks nearby which sounded more appealing to us. So we just did a walk along the coastal cliffs nearby in hope of finding some koalas unfortunately without any luck.
    But back on the Great Ocean Road we saw some people who had stopped at a viewpoint and were looking up some trees. We guessed right that there was a koala. He just climbed up a think three and looked a bit scared but probably was just fine as he was eating :)
    The "main attraction" despite the road itself are the 12 Apostels, a series of distinctive limestone formations. Actually there are just 8 of them because one broke down in 2003 :D But it was very touristy and crowded. Therefore we enjoyed the "Wreck Beach" more, a hard to access parking about ten kilometers off the main road. It's also a climb down somewhat 500 stairs and only accessible in low tide. So we were almost alone there with parts of shipwrecks, perfectly rounded stones and magnificent shells.
    Read more