Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Angkor Wat

    July 15, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ 🌧 29 °C

    We stayed at the airport in Kuala Lumpur for the night as our flight departed at 6:30 in the morning. The airport has a slogan 'The mall with an airport' and its really like this, we spent more than two hours exploring all the shops and food stalls... The flight was pleasant and short but on arrival we were surprised by the VISA process. We had assumed (regarding Visas it's better to know) that it would be similar to Indonesia but we needed a proper VISA on arrival for about 30$ each. And we also would've needed passport photos but at least they didn't really mind :)
    The hotel we had booked in advance included a pickup from the airport but as they didn't reply to any messages I had already assumed they wouldn't show up... It's not too far away and they have a fixed rate of 5$ to the city. After overcoming these obstacles we went to have breakfast and then plan our visit to Angkor Wat. The area that it covers is massive so we set aside two full days to explore it in its entirety. We just left out some smaller temples and the ones that were too far away (about 30 km North). It would have been possible to see most of it in one day by rushing but we wanted to take our time strolling through the temple complexes. And even then we grew a bit tired of so many temples at the end... And even though Angkor Wat is the most famous one, others were equally amazing.
    Another thing that amazed me was the restoration efforts that are a cooperation between many different countries (Germany for Angkor Wat, France for Bayun, also China, Japan, India, USA...). We enjoyed our time there in the timeless jungles of lost times very much ❤️
    Read more