Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Zagreb - a full day

    October 30, 2019 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    Woke up to a cold (about 5 degrees) showery day. Hopefully it will get better (at least stop bring wet) but it will only get to about 9.

    Started exploring,after breakfast, by deciding to walk up a long long set of ancient stairs to the top of a hill - we followed 2 or 3 groups of people thinking they must be going somewhere interesting. Not so!!!! It turned out we were all going to a medical research facility - given some of the people we were following, we decided 🤔not to go inside. We found a roundabout way to get back down to the main part of the city and the old town. We walked around a really large old cathedral and tried to get in through a side gate when it mysteriously opened for us. We were about to go into a building when a guy came running out telling us this is a private property (he was Croatian so we guessed that what he was saying as he ushered us out). Eventually we did find our way into the cathedral and it didn’t disappoint- built over 900 years ago it has a lot of history. We did a lot more walking/exploring including finding the Gric tunnel (about 350 metres long) that was built as a bomb shelter and a promenade. We found a huge open market place (that unfortunately had started to close for the day) as well as lots of other great places/sights - really worth the visit.

    Lunch at where else but an Italian restaurant (they really are everywhere ).

    The weather wasn’t great, but added to the atmosphere.

    Tomorrow we leave Zagreb for Slovenia.
    Read more