Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Gelato-a bargain at 2 million colones!

    February 5, 2017 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We were told that the weather is usually sunny with a light shower in the afternoon. It poured all day.

    The town of Fortuna is overlooked by Costa Rica's most active volcano - Arenal. We saw nothing of it! See photo of town overlooked by the clouded volcano! Its like when I went to Egypt and Tutankhamun's tomb was closed.

    So glad I wasn't hiking! Apparently the Kadashians were in town a few days ago and stayed at one of the hotels which have some hot springs. We could have gone to those hot springs for $100US!

    Slept in and took my time in the morning - so nice not to have anywhere to be. Then wandered around town in my plastic poncho. Had a great smoothie and quaedesia (see photo) for breakfast/lunch in the Lava Cafe. The better shops were closed as it was Sunday. Go back to hotel to lay on bed with air conditioning on full blast and watch CNN. When I can't listen to any more about Trump I stagger up to continue aimlessly walking around. Gelato helps.

    Then quite a good dinner at a soda which is the name for local cafes - this soda is full of tourists - the locals clearly having run for cover!

    More gelato then TV time. There is one channel that has movies in the original language so I watch Ted 2 and We're the Millers. Ripper night!
    Read more