Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 6 - on snow (the last one)

    February 24 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ -1 °C

    Woke to a cloudy sky with small bits of snow falling few and far between. As it was our last snow day, we decided to head over to the Okushiga kogen side of the mountain.

    At 8:30, we were full of our usual hotel breakfast fare and riding the quad chair up to do runs E1, to D4 and over to the A gondola. At the top of this gondola, we headed off towards Okushiga-kogan, walking the traverse that goes uphill.

    From here, we played around on the runs off the chair at the edge of the resort. They had some fun kids runs, a mellow through the trees experience, and some bigger rollover jumps (last ski day they were under instruction not to break anything). The sun came out while we were over this side enjoying some blue sky. Around 11am, hubby reminded me we wanted to have pizza for lunch from the place beside the bridge at Takamagahara. (Oh, and my previous reports I have Tanne and Takamagahara switched around)

    So we headed off up the chairs, back across to Yakebitaiyama, down B1 to C2, and to the chair to take us up to Diamond. Down Diamond, across the bridge, up the middle chair at Family, through Tanne, and across to Takamagahara. Then it was unclip and walk across the road. The pizzas are fantastic (around 1,400yen) and their fries are great too (at only 350yen old). The view from our lunch table was just beautiful under the blue sky.

    After lunch, it was time to head back. The snow was a lot more sugary, boarding on slushy in the sunlight, but sure beats sheet ice, though that was still lurking in places. We reversed our journey without incident. Dried and packed the ski bags up (each just under 25kg) and sent them to the airport for 6,300 yen. Money well spent.

    Had our last dinner at the Ramen place, and our last onsen.
    Read more