Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Kawagoe Day trip

    February 27 in Japan ⋅ 🌬 10 °C

    Today, the plan was to head to Kawagoe (it was going to be a Disney day, but there were very strong winds). After our combini breakfast, we headed off on trains towards Kawagoe, with the journey taking a bit over an hour or so. It was just as windy there. A visit to the tourist info centre informed us that the historic town was about 2km away, so we bought the all-day bus ticket for 400yen and set off.

    We walked up one side of the historic dection, visiting shops along the way, then headed left to the candy alley street, our lunch stop was some bakery treats, before walking back down the other side. We also saw the bell tower. The wind, however, made it really unpleasant to be outside. So we headed back to the station. With a small Don Quixote detour. The over hour long journey home was made longer by wind delays. Our train became a local train. At one point, we jumped off and across platform to an express with some locals who were doing the same.

    Once at Oshiage, we were going to go up Skytree, but tickets were all sold out. So we instead went up to the 30th floor of skytree view at 4:30pm and sat and waited for the sunset and watched with a nice view. After sunset it was off in the still driving winds to Coco Curry for dinner. Once home, we were glad to be out of the wind. Hats were blown off heads a few times during the day.
    Read more