Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 263

    Lets go see some ruins

    April 3, 2017 in Peru ⋅ 🌙 30 °C

    Max and I met up in Peru for a week to go trekking and see the Incan ruins of Choquequirao. The trek is less known than the famous Inca Trail and since it takes two to three days of hiking to get to the ruins, less frequented than their bigger sister ruins Machu Pichu.

    After a day of planning and getting some last minute supplies, we left Monday morning on the 4.5 hour journey to Cachora, where the trail begins. Little adventures started already on the way: first, we took a Collectivo van with 10 other Peruvians. The car wasn't the newest and in a sharp corner, the door opened and an old lady almost fell out of the car. Luckily, she didn't. What did fall out was one of Max's boots though. We got it back and the semitrucks on the route hadn't hit them - lucky after all ;)

    The trek starts in town just below 3000m and follows the mountain range for a few hours. Filled with wildflowers, with views of the steep mountains and small glaciers around, the trail starts easy and beautiful. Just before sunset, we made camp at a covered spot, at a Peruvian family home. I was challenged and surprisingly able to have a good conversation with Gladys and her daughter Valentina (pic 6) in Spanish and we shared a good dinner from our own food and some fresh veggies.
    Read more