Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Bruney Island - Rough Beauty

    May 27, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    Today we had to leave super early to be able to catch the ferry to Bruny Island. It's a "little" island (just as big as Singapore, little for Australia) right in front of Kettering. Bruny Island was actually spelled Brunie before, but as there was a small village called Burnie and the mail mailed lots of wrong post to people, they decided to change it to Bruny.
    We boarded the ferry with our todays driver Phil and watched the beautiful sunrise above the water.
    Then we headed straight towards a honey tasting which was delicious. In fact, I got some great hand creme made with honey as it was feeling and smelling so nicely. But I couldn't buy any honey as I'm not allowed to bring that into Western Australia where we're headed tomorrow. As I didn't want to pay yet another fine or throw something away, I just left the honey there.
    Next stop was The Neck, which has a lovely lookout, named after an aboriginal woman called Triganini. You just have the best views from there. And down at the beach of the Tasman Sea, there are loads of combs that penguins use to nest inside.
    Next stop was the Two Tree Point where the first European Settlers set foot on Bruny Island. We did some cheese (and oyster) tasting there. I liked the ODO the best. It stand for One Day Old and was soaked in olive oil and peppers. Yummy!
    Read more