Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    The Margaret River Region

    May 29, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Today we split up again into two groups to go on either the tour into the Margeret River Region or to the Pinnacles. As I would do the Pinnacles on the later tour anyway, I chose the first option.
    We had a very early start and were immediately shocked as we've found ourselves together with real tourists. I think as a travel agent, you usually don't like tourists too much. I know, that's weird.
    We drove on for 2,5hrs to our first stop: Busselton Jetty. However, nor was the walk on the longest Australian jetty included ($4, there is a train for $17 available), nor did we even have time to do so. The only thing left to do was basically to get some coffee (obviously not included) and head back to the bus.
    Off we go, yet another 2h drive to our next stop: Lunch at the Black Brewing Company. The estate looked fantastic, the food was alright, but there was no real wine tasting. They gave everyone a little sip from a white and red wine, but couldn't tell us one bit about it, as it wasn't even their wine. They bought it and just served it. We did get some little "beer tasting" which basically was a lager, an ale and an apple cider... Wow.
    After that amazing taste bud explosion, we made our way to the Mammoth Cave, yet again about an hours drive. There, we did only see like a third of the cave, as we didn't have time for more (wtf?). So, again in the bus for another 40min to get to the Leeuwin Lighthouse which was standing where the Southern and Indian Ocean collided. And again, going up the Lighthouse ($21) wasn't included in the tour price. But luckily, we wouldn't have had time for that anyway.
    Our last stop was in the Margeret River city itself, where I found a really cool cord jacket, but most of the shops were already shut (as the Australians apparently don't shop after 5pm) so the "shopping stop" was shit for most of us again.
    As we returned to our bus, the bus driver told us, it would take 3,5hrs for the ride home. I wanted to shoot myself.
    We haven't seen anything from the Margaret River Region, and whatever would have been a bit interesting, we have avoided completely.
    Which tour operator doesn't have a proper wine tasting in Margeret River?! That's the only reason you go there. What the hell?
    Somehow, we managed to survive the 3,5hrs bus ride and were super happy when we arrived at the hotel.
    As we didn't have any dinner included and it was 9.30pm, Sean, Simona and I decided to grab some food at a 24h open Vietnamese. We just couldn't believe the shit we lived through the whole day... Luckily, it was over now.
    Read more