Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Around the Lake and Foodie Paradise

    September 16, 2023 in Slovenia ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    We walked around the lake and came across the open-air markets with amazing local handcrafts and arts. I could barely leave some stunning earrings behind (although I don't even have ear holes for that matter). As it was super hot, we decided to get some ice cream and stumbled across the excellent and famous flavour of Sladogled. It's ice cream with Mascarpone, raisins, chocolate, cinnamon, caramel and cake crumbles. It was delicious although it tasted a bit like alcohol. Drunken from that, we found Alunas doppelganger as we sat down again at the lake to cool our feet. Across the lake, a basketball game was on. Actually it was on the lake, they were playing on an artificial lake surface. The music was extremely loud and we could get the gist of what was happening. Later, we walked on by and found out that Jordan (the sports wear) was releasing some new shoes and therefore made a huge event out of it with the help of the Slovenian tourism board. The youths of Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary were playing against each other, rocking the lake with their dance and ball moves.
    As we had enough, we walked back to our accommodation where Aluna found a new friend in a donkey.
    Then, we got hungry, so we searched for a restaurant a little further away than the tourist spots because we thought that might be cheaper and much more traditionally Slovenian. We found a great place named Gostilna Fortuna and saw that the Vintgar Gorge wasn't too far way of the restaurant. So we drove their first. However, it was already closed and from the outside we couldn't see more than a few stones and fresh, cold water. So, we drove to the restaurant and had an absolute blast. First, we had some traditionally made cottage cheese dumplings (we guess that Smetana was inside - a slav kind of creme) which were delicious. Then Shakhzoda chose a trout with some potatoes that reminded me of the mashed potatoes with onions inside that my Mum always cooks. I've got some deep fried cottage cheese filled "gnocchi" that didn't look like gnocchi at all but nevertheless tasted very good. At the end, we treated ourselves to LePotica with walnuts inside and vanilla ice cream, and came into Foodie heaven.
    Read more