Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The Disappointing Truth about the West

    October 29, 2023 in Mauritius

    We drove on to the Cascades of Deep River that were quite cool but infested with mosquitos that bit me 6 times in less than two minutes whilst I was playing a wind mill on drugs. So we decided to drove ahead to our next stop on the road to the West: Pieter Both. It appeared to be a very interesting looking mountain behind a banana farm. On we drove to the West and saw some interesting things: Port Louis has a tram system going on up to Phoenix (where we drove through), Mauritian cars not always look so shat anymore, and the speed limit on their motorways is 110km/h, which makes sense as every 3-4km a roundabout breaks the flow. As we finally left the outskirts of the Capital of Mauritius, we entered a very touristic part: the Black River Region. And it didn't take us too long to enter Flic en Flac. To find a parking spot at the world-known beach though was more difficult. Understandably, it was Sunday afternoon. But we still haven't expected so many cars and people, as the Eastern part of Mauritius is much calmer. It was extremely hot, so we took our umbrellas to cover us from the sun and wanted to just take a sneek-peek of the famous Flic en Flac beach. To be honest: It's nothing special. It's the same alright, somehow dirty sand with no shade whatsoever, way too many tourists and stinking public toilets. Also when you book a hotel there beware: You have heavy traffic between you and the beach, which then won't even be for you and your hotel pals. It's definitely not worth it. Every beach on the East was at least like Flic en Flac, usually even better because less people. Some people might like other humans, though as Seb and I don't, we decided to quickly escape from the west coast again. We decided to drive on to the Tamarind Falls, however we didn't like to wander up the falls but rather just look at them. So we drove to a lookout point, whilst stopping by some more amazing looking mountains. The Tamarind Falls are alright and I guess it would be nice to wander around them, not today though. As the sun was starting to slowly go down again, we jumped back into the car to drive home. On the way, we had to take a detour and found ourselves on private property from a Sugar Cane farm. Luckily, nobody gave a sugar (pun intended) about the permits, so we just drove through and found an amazing place on a bridge. Not only were the sugar canes higher than people, but also the river flowing underneath has created a "Jungle book"-like surrounding. We've driven through the whole country, to all these famous places to stop by such a picturesque place not 20mins from our apartment. And nobody knows about it, or stops by. And that's actually what we've learned yesterday and today: Whatever lots of people recommend doing, lots of other people will do, i.e. will be full with tourists, the prices and attractions for them. When you're a travel agent like we both are, you don't want tourists around. You want to experience the pure culture and get to know the local ways of living. We look differently onto tourist things. We see what is done good, what is authentic, what is only made for tourists to like it.
    We drove back to our apartment and stopped by Carambole Snack to get our own caught fish done by Satish. I tried some fish curry as well and I have to admit: It was delicious, even though I usually don't like fish at all. That one was amazing!
    Read more