Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    A night with old friends

    October 19, 2021 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    After spending the night in the dry river bed we got up at 7:30am, nice and early to feed Diego the kitten and sort ourselves out before taking the 5 minute drive to Texas Hollywood, an authentic film set used in the 60’s and 70’s for world famous spaghetti westerns.
    It cost 19€ each to to get in but as we were there at opening time we pretty much had the place to ourselves except for a few other motorhomers that had slept in the car park that night.
    The place really is authentic with saloons, churches and even a gallows and once the re-enactors come out it really brings the place to life. Unfortunately we only stayed for an hour because we weren’t going to be able to amuse ourselves until midday when the gunfights start. From there the original plan was to go to an abandoned film set and ghost town but it looked rubbish as we drove past, then oasis mini Hollywood but we didn’t want to pay another €19 each so we skipped that and decided to head down the coast to almeria to see what all the hype was about and maybe have a swim.
    Almeria town it turns out is a bit of a dive with somewhere of a cross between Benidorm and Great Yarmouth, with traffic lights, roundabouts and pedestrian crossings every 50 meters it was a complete nightmare to negotiate the roads so we left pretty much as soon as we got there and drive the 120 miles to competa, to see our friends who have moved there Margaret and Russell.
    We got through the winding lanes leading up to competa about 3pm and Margaret met us, showed us where to park and then we went back to there place for some drinks before later on heading out to the town square for food.
    It was nice to catch up and it was probably at that point we realised that Spain probably isn’t for us. It is beautiful in parts but it’s nothing like what you see on a place in the sun, but we have a few more miles in Spain yet so there’s still room for movement.
    Russ had way to many beers at dinner, and before dinner and then went back to Margaret and Russells for more beers after dinner and at 9pm we realised we’d had enough and had to take the long walk back to Wanda. Russ sorted out the double bed, lit the gas on the fridge and then climbed straight into the bunk and passed out.
    We were both woken up at 1am by lorries trundling past at a silly speed and rocking Wanda and that was the last bit of sleep we had tonight.
    Read more