Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    The Caves of Zugarramurdi

    November 12, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    We had an unbelievably quiet nights sleep in Artajona. It was so quiet the silence was deafening and I’ll be honest I had trouble staying asleep because my brain kept on making noises up that weren’t there. At one point I could even hear the polystyrene in the walls creaking as they cooled down.
    Bleary eyed at 7:30am I decided I’d had enough of the silence, got up, made tea and coffee and then we both went down to the local bakery and bought some fresh bread for breakfast. At 10am we left Artajona and headed 70miles west back to Basque Country and up into the mountains to a tiny little town called Zugarramurdi. This is the place where the Spanish Inquisition started in the late 1600’s because they thought witches were living in the caves, it turns out that of the 5000 people that confessed to being witches 1500 of those were children, it was a bizarre time and once again it was down to religion and people believing in different things.
    After the caves we visited the witch museum which again was fascinating and they even had videos in English for us, they’ve obviously spent a lot of money on the museum with all of the technology they’ve put into the place to bring the museum to life.
    From Zugarramurdi we were going to go to the caves of Urdax but they are closed Fridays so instead we headed for the town if Urdax where there is a small motorhome park up, just as we arrived someone was leaving and we got the last standing available. The shops were opposite so we popped over the road and got some supplies and then came back to Wanda, had dinner and watched a little tv before turning in at 9pm as we were both pretty tired.
    Read more