Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    The caves of urdax and fontet.

    November 13, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We had a lovely nights sleep in the small airè in Urdax, there was no noise, no vanlifers waking us up at stupid hour and no traffic. So when we woke up at 7:30am we felt refreshed and ready to roll.
    We had to hang around until 10:15am because our first and only stop of the day didn’t open until 11am and we were only 2 miles away. The Caves of Urdax. These were beautiful caves, not as big as some we have visited but every cave is different and they are always worth a visit and thus one didn’t disappoint. It was formed some 50,000,000 years ago when it was still under the sea and before the Pyrenees were even born and to this day the river that formed it’s limestone walls still runs through it.
    Even though we weren’t allowed to take pictures I managed to get quite a few by staying at the back of our group and always being the last one out enabling me to shoot in silent mode with no flash.
    We left the caves around 12:30, and then it was a 170 mile drive to our camp spot for the night. Originally our plan was to go to Bordeaux but as Ben has left us and we’ve already been we opted for a quieter night in a little village with a big airè called Fontet. Fortunately for us the mayor of this little place is a motorhome fan and has introduced a beautiful airè next to a canal that has a security barrier, screened off pitches and electric all for just €11. To top it off the airè even has it’s own restaurant.
    It had been raining most of the way here, not heavy but it was wet so when there was a break in the weather we popped out for a walk and ended up in the local cemetery.
    We’ve always loved visiting cemeteries in other countries just to see how there dead are remembered and I’ll be honest, England is pretty bad at it.
    All over Europe families are buried in one plot, like a family tomb, because they lived together and even if they didn’t live together they stay in close proximity for life so when you die there’s always someone to remember you. They even put photos in graves in Europe so you can put a face to the dates which I think is a lovely idea especially for the younger generations to remember there elders.
    I’m definitely impressed with the way Europeans remember there dead.
    We weren’t out long before it started raining again so as we’ve got free water and an electric hook up it was back to Wanda so we could both have a well needed shower before bed.
    Read more