Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    La Rochelle & The Bunker

    November 14, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    After an early rise and breakfast of fresh bread we had a long drive ahead of us. 150 miles to the port city of La Rochelle. I had wanted ti visit this city for a number of years since watching lots of stuff on the submarine’s of world war 2.
    We hit the outskirts of the city about midday and it was a nightmare heading to the port area which is where the attractions are. TomTom had already warned us this was a car route and not a camper route but didn’t say why so I was looking out for weight limits and low bridges.
    The problem turned out to be crazy traffic, crazy parking and super tight roads but eventually we found a car park and followed cars in and it was heaving. There’s no way we were going to get Wanda parked here so then we tried to exit but ended up on the port side.
    I kept on looking on the sat Nav for more parking but there was none nearby so I gave up and went back into the car park to leave and as we got to the exit barriers there were about 30 spaces and one was on a corner which was perfect for Wanda so we got parked.
    I couldn’t work out why it was so busy except for the fact it was Remembrance Sunday but these people didn’t look like church goers.
    We parked right underneath the lantern tower of La Rochelle, walked through the gates of the chain tower and into town. It was heaving with people and nobody was shopping, infact most people were eating. I know this is a café culture but for a Sunday this was ridiculous.
    We wandered around the old town and eventually found the bunker museum, paid our €8 euro each and headed on inside.
    The bunker was built by the Germans to house the commander of the 33rd U Boat flotilla and it was built directly underneath a hotel which they requisitioned for the officers quarters. It was a fascinating place and huge inside, with dormitories, medical rooms and even 2 large lounge areas. All equipped with huge steel doors to secure the place during air raids. The ceilings, walls and wall art and floors were all original.
    From the bunker we headed back to the port, wandered around taking photos and looking at the street art before heading off around 3:30pm.
    We didn’t know where we were going to sleep but I thought I’d start heading to the next destination and look in the way.
    About 20 miles outside of La Rochelle I flicked on park4night and searched where I was and straight away a motorhome airè popped up, I quickly looked through the photos, all the reviews were 5 star so I pulled off the motorway and found somewhere to pull over and set the coordinates.
    Where we stopped the was a bread vending machine so Ellie jumped out and got tomorrow’s breakfast while I set the sat Nav.
    The airè was only 4 miles away in the village of Puyravault, it only had 9 places and luckily there was only 2 other motorhomers when we arrived so for €9 we paid the entrance fee and had electric and WiFi for the night aswell.
    Again this is a beautiful airè. Clean, quiet and set in the marshlands of France.
    We’ve another big drive tomorrow as we head further up the country so hopefully we’ll get a good nights sleep.
    Read more