Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Chobe

    March 12, 2022 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    This morning we watched a blazing orange sunrise again whilst the impala’s ducked and dived under the safari tents eating the grass and keeping a lookout for predators. We skipped breakfast, had a quick coffee and by 8am we had all our camping gear stowed away and we were in the road.
    It was just a short 280km drive today and there are only 2 roads. Besides there official A numbers, the first road is called the elephants highway and the second road is call the wildlife corridor, and we found out why.
    Driving down the Elephants highway we saw numerous elephants at the side and crossing the road, then we saw a black mamba snake and a tortoise on then road.
    Just as we joined the road called the wildlife corridor, Pieter with his unbelievable eyesight spotted a chameleon in the road so we stopped to rescue it from being run over. Ellie named it Pascal, and Pieter said it would be better off coming with us as it’s a protected area and he joined our road trip for the next leg of our journey.
    We stopped at the Spar supermarket just before reaching our destination and got food for the night and lunch, luckily Pascal stayed in the car as we found a wild warthog drinking water from a dog bowl in the main square and Pieter said that this time last year a pack of Lions caught an impala outside the Spar and the police had to cordon off the town while they ate it.
    From there it was a short 10 minute drive to our final destination, Chobe Safari lodge.
    After checking in at reception, we found a camping spot deep in the woods about 50 yards away from the crocodile infested river.As we set up camp a young bushbuck and her baby came over and it happened to be one that Pieter had rescued from a snare a couple of years ago. She didn’t recognise him at first but once he sparked up a joint the smell of cannabis seemed to do the trick and she came right up to us and Ellie even got a kiss.
    Then we listed all our clothes and put them in bin bags ready to hand them in to the laundry girls tomorrow, everyone is down to there last pieces of clothing, and I think underwear has already been used atleast twice. So we spent the rest of the day in our swimwear around the pool with some drinks before coming back to camp and watching an amazing sunset over the river. Then it was dinner time and Pieter cooked us all rump steaks, which isn’t as good as the fillet but it was still amazing and I got most of it with the cheesy mushrooms. Then after a couple of beers it was time to try and sleep with all the animals cawing, and screeching around us.
    Read more