Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Bassin D’Orage to Le Lac de Jourres

    October 10, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    After our hike and bike yesterday we slept in this morning until 7:45am. That’s pretty late for us.
    We had nowhere to be except south today so we plotted the Sat Nav and started driving. It should have been 350 miles in total so today was going to be a long day in the saddle.
    Around 11am we stopped at a lovely little Airè next to the Viaduct De Garabit. This is a huge Iron Viaduct made by Eiffel and something that has been in my camera list for ages so I was glad to tick that off. This was also where we had a late breakfast of Wanda toasties. We needed another airè about an hour later for fresh water and fuel and found that it had ancient stone shepherds huts and a Chàteau a 30 minute walk away.
    We spent quite some time looking around the huts and taking photos before hitting the motorways again.
    We passed some amazing sights on the route, huge Chàteau’s, Monasteries, we drove right through the centre of Millau and passed the Millau Viaduct, onwards we drove through Templar country and passing through Beziers and this was when we both started getting tired of the drive.
    At roadworks we realised that we were about 60 miles from Carcassonne and 90 miles from our camp spot so we quickly plotted a route for the medieval town and kept moving. Meanwhile Ellie kept looking for a closer park up because it was now a challenge of how many nights free camping could we do without having to recharge the batteries.
    10 minutes later she found a nice little spot next to a lake. The reviews on park4night were good so she shouted of the co-ordinates as I drove and we re-routed Wanda to a small village called Homps.
    As we approached, TomTom tried to turn us right where we weren’t allowed so we went up to the next right and took that. This bought us into the town and it got tighter and tighter and directly ahead of us it was no entry. We took a left to the river where it was breathing room only and had to turn around and take another left into a really tight alley. TomTom kept telling us to turn around but we could see the waypoint on the maps and continued down the alley hoping it would bring us to a bigger road. As we got closer to the end we saw a bridge and turned onto it.
    Now we were on the right side of the river and TomTom re-routed itself and started playing the game again. Another left turn and we were running down the side of the river, then we turned right down a gravel track for about 3/4 mile and just as we thought we had come to a point where we would have to turn around we saw the car park where we hoped to spend the night.
    We parked up next to 2 other motorhomers, they looked like they were here to stay as they have there bikes and deck chairs out. Finally after 300 miles of driving we could stop.
    It was still so warm at 4pm when we stopped we went for a swim in the lake and it wasn’t as cold as we thought it would, and Ellie even washed her hair.
    Then it was back to Wanda to have dinner and watch the sunset through the windscreen from the seats in the back.
    Read more