Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Mabibi beach

    March 27, 2023 in South Africa

    The heat overnight was unbelievable. So much so that at midnight I got up and wandered over to our shower area naked and took a cold shower. Then I sat on one of the camping chairs out the front of our little lodge and dried off in the blustery wind.
    I then decided to wedge Ellies backpack in the doorway to keep the door open and have a breeze blow in but the backpack would hopefully stop frogs or snakes getting in.
    With not much sleep I had set the alarm to go off at 6am so we could head to Mabibi beach for low water at 7:30am and snorkel in the rock pools but when we got up the rains had finally come and the temperature was now a chilly 19°c.
    After coffees and breakfast we decided “what the hell”, and drove to Mabibi beach anyway in the hope that the rain would stop.
    The drive there was completely off-road on a sandy track and we were slipping and sliding all the way with Karin the car beeping at us again, it was great fun but we decided there and then never to buy a used car from Pete.
    We pulled up into the car park area at Mabibi camp about 30 minutes later and then it was a 1/4 mile walk down a sandy track and then 50 wooden steps on a very steep gradient until we finally hit the beach.
    The beach was beautiful with lovely golden sand with a back drop of huge green sand dunes it looked very much like the Thai beaches you see in the brochures. The sea here never gets below 24°c and today it was warm but also rough because of the wind and huge rollers were breaking on the beach so we only dipped our feet.
    The rain also didn’t stop so we gave it up as a bad idea and headed back to the lodge for coffees.
    Read more