Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Mozambique & Biltong

    March 28, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    20 minutes later we arrived at a huge lookout tower bordering on the edges of Mozambique where we could climb up and view the whole park with South Africa on one side, Mozambique on another and swaziland on another. It was an incredible viewpoint.
    From there we headed back for the entrance where we found warthogs sitting behind the caution warthogs sign, in which we all took great amusement.
    Back on the road we now needed supplies for dinner and Pieter had promised me Biltong so our next stop was Kosi Bay.
    It took a good 2 hours to get to Kosi Bay and we could have gone anywhere for food but not for Biltong so much to everyone’s disgust we sat in roadworks for 20 minutes getting into the town all for Biltong.
    Our first stop was the Biltong shop where we chose our meat that was hanging up, and then a lovely lady came and put it through a slicer and within 5 minutes I had a huge bag of Biltong. Then it was onto the spar shop and because of the roadworks that had the whole town down to one lane and a very busy market going on, on the street it was manic and we couldn’t get parked at the spar and Pieter and Simon if he’d stay in the car, watch it and bark at anyone that came close.
    Simon then said “ are you serious?”
    And Pete replied “ Well, you don’t really have to bark unless you want to but can you stay with the car?”.
    Ellie and I were pissing ourselves in the back at the thought of Simon having to bark at strangers coming near the car, and more so that he thought Pieter was serious.
    The shopping took about 20 minutes with enough pork, chicken and steak to do atleast 4 days worth of meals and to show my appreciation for Pieters cooking and driving and Simon waiting in the car I bought 6 beers, enough for 2 each. Then it was a long drive back through the roadworks and home.
    It was nearly 5:30pm by the time we got back to the lodge, it had been a very full and exciting day and we were all tired. The boys sat down with the beers and Ellie had tea while Pete let a chicken stew bubble away for a couple of hours and then we had a lovely dinner of chicken stew and rice. Then we drank the last of the beers and at 8:30pm it was time to head to bed.
    Read more