衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日8

    A Day Of Rain & Rest

    2023年3月31日, 南アフリカ ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    This morning we stayed in bed until just gone 7am. We woke up to grey, very English looking skies and it had been raining most of the night.
    By 7:30am the skies had let loose and it started raining and by 8am just halape turned up for her work it was throwing it down.
    Waterfalls were coming off of the roof everywhere and rivers were running down the garden and it stayed like that for the next 3 hours.
    By 11am we had given up on an outdoor excursion and as Pieter had some stuff on the computer to do, Ellie and I headed back to our room for an hour or so to watch tv on our kindle and phones.
    Just after 12pm Pieter came down and got us for an African style macaroni cheese and some fresh bread which was really good. I don’t know whether or not Pieter did his computer stuff, he gets very easily sidetracked.
    After lunch the rain had stopped, the sun came out and it started heating up nicely and Pieter suggested a walk to the lake which was 2 miles away and off we went.
    Cutting across the 2 miles of open landscape was a nightmare for me in shorts as the whole place is full of fleas and ticks, not to mention snakes and Ellie and I got quite a few. Even up our arms. On the way we spotted loads of insects because the grass was still wet from this morning’s downpour including Butterflies, Moths various dung beetles and spiders.
    Once we got to the lake we could barely see the hippos but we sat down just away from the waters edge while Pieter had a cigarette. It really is a beautiful spot and a beautiful landscape.
    After a 20 minute break it was time to head back and Pieter decided for some reason to cut through the small woods and we had to go back on ourselves several times but it was all worth it when we came to a clearing and the was a troop of Vervet Monkeys right infront of us.
    We kept a lookout all the way home for animal tracks in the sand and we saw the footprints of hippos and babies, mongoose, monkeys and dycker which is a tiny deer. Then we saw an African marsh harrier on the ground right infront of us. It was a really beautiful and exciting walk and we were all hit and sticky and needed a drink when we got back to the house.
    I took a cold shower and cleaned up and then the 3 of us went up on to the newly built roof terrace to watch a crappy sunset as the clouds had rolled in to the west. Then as it got darker we had a grand turning on several times of the fairy lights as the plug was faulty before we went back down to the house while Pieter cooked a lovely dinner of pork chops, rice and vegetables.
    Then it was back to our usual nighttime ritual of sitting on the sofas while Pieter smoked his last joint and had a whiskey before we all went to bed.
    もっと詳しく