Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Hluhluwe, Ron & Richards Bay

    April 14, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We left home in Karin at 10am and after a quick stop at the car spares shop in MBazwana we were back on the road heading for Hluhluwe game reserve. We stopped on route in the Hluhluwe Spar and bought hot food for lunch an
    we arrived in the park shortly after 11:30am and after checking in with our rhino card we stopped in the car park and ate lunch on the picnic benches before finally entering.
    Lunch was hot pies and sausage and it was well needed as we’d all skipped breakfast.
    Straight away we were greeted by families of warthog just milling about in the road. As they were so close to the entrance they were quiet used to people and just wallowed in the mud and rooted through the grass while we watched.
    Then we came across a herd of water buffalo with 1 baby that actually looked really cute but still had psycho eyes.
    Then it was the turn of the impala’s again and one stood majestically on a dirt mound looking very regal.
    We continued on, passing waterholes that were void of animals before coming across a herd of elephants crossing the road right in front of us. There was a massive bull elephant that was one of the tallest we had seen and he even bulked himself right out showing us his full size as he passed the car.
    We stayed in the park until just gone 3pm and then we continued our journey southwards to Richards Bay arriving at Richards Bay airport at 4:30pm. This is where we were picking Petes friend Ron up and we waited in the car park cuddling and feeding the stray cats until 5pm when Ron’s flight arrived and we greeted him.
    Ron is 29, just finished his job as an accountant with one company and is staying with Pete until the 15th may when he starts his new job. Although Pete was under the impression he was staying for 6 months and would be running the place while he goes off on safari.
    From the airport we headed straight to Richards Bay Mall where we stocked up on food and beers and had to tell Pete to calm down with the food as tomorrow is our last day in the ISimangaliso wetlands before heading to the Kruger.
    Then it was back in the car to make the 160km trip back northwards heading for the Boabab Inn for dinner while we got to know Ron in the car and him and Pete caught up.
    Read more