Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Baboons Are Not Welcome.

    April 19, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    As we drove up the driveway to our little house a huge baboon ran across the road infront of us, he had packets in his hand and I commented that he’d just been robbing someone. As we approached the house we saw that a whole window frame had been ripped out and there was the wood and glass all over the floor.
    It was us he had robbed.
    We looked through the window to see utter devastation as all of our food and drink that was either on the side or in the fridge was now all over the floor.
    Once we opened the door the mess looked even worse, he had eaten everything from the eggs, the cereal the corn on the cobs we had, all of our snack food like crisps and biscuits were gone and he had drunk 2 cartons of fruit juice 1 carton of milk and thrown another carton of milk, eggs, pasta and maize all over the floor and smashed countless cups, glasses and plates and to top it off he had then crapped everywhere and rubbed some of it on the walls and carpets. He was a dirty Baboon!!
    First off we called security and a guard drove down looked at the devastation and we told him the alarm had been on. He said because of the load shedding the alarm wouldn’t work and that’s why the alarm hadn’t gone off. Load shedding is a nightmare, but luckily we had closed all of the bedroom doors and our stuff was safe but he had tried our bedroom windows and bent the frames.
    The security guard called the cleaner who in turn called a maintenance guy and he came straight out.
    Pete, Ellie and I started cleaning up and filled 2 black bags full of rubbish and then Petes ADHD kicked in and I washed the floor with a cloth on my hands and knees while he disappeared talking about other peoples holidays in Sodwana bay, but I have come to expect nothing less.
    Chris the maintenance guy put a new window in within an hour and then to mine and Ellies horror he screwed our windows shut with a drill. Now when there’s load shedding tonight we really will have no air, I’m dreading bedtime because I hated this house anyway.
    Once the window was fixed we headed back to the shops to restock on some groceries, luckily he hadn’t got into the freezer and our meat was safe. Then we headed back to the house dropped the food off and headed back out for sunset.
    We drove down to Seekoi street and sat looking at the parklands at all of the wildlife wandering across the plain, kudo, impalas, wilderbeast and we even saw parrots.
    Then we wandered down to the two trees viewing area and just as we got there Pete spotted a leopard on the other side of the river on the edge of the Kruger. He was quite far away but we could still see him and it was definitely a good sighting although it’s not the leopard in a tree I’ve been after.
    As it got dark we headed back for home. It was now 6:30pm. Thanks to the baboon, Pete and I hadn’t eaten a thing all day and at 7pm Ellie had to remind Pete to feed us. Otherwise I think he would have just smoked all night.
    Fortunately he pulled it right out the bag with a warthog stew with Pupe. Then with no zebra coming to visit us tonight we headed for bed.
    Read more