Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Sigiriya & Dambulla

    January 24, 2017 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We anticipated a lot of driving in Sri Lanka because we knew it was difficult to get from place to place with the small roads and varied terrain but one thing we didn't expect was rain! Unfortunately our luck wasn't great and the days were full of heavy rain which is unusual for this time of year. However we made the best of it and didn't get too wet while sightseeing!

    Our first stop was to the massive Sigiriya Lion Rock built between the years 477-495 by the ruling King as his capital, fortress and palace. The ancient ruins now are a UNESCO world heritage site and offer amazing views from the steep climb up.

    That night we enjoyed a stay in the jungle and took cover from the elephants and other wildlife there by sleeping in a treehouse! This was a fun experience and relaxing too as we listened to the peaceful sound of the rain and nature. Mitch even took it one step further by enjoying a fish pedicure in the small pond on the property!

    The next day we got back on the road to drive through the scenic tea plantations of Sri Lanka but first made a pit stop at the Dambulla Cave Temples which are the largest set of cave temples found in the country. Prehistoric Sri Lankan remains have been found at this site dating back more than 2,700 years ago long before Buddhist monks came to create the temples as a religious complex with statues and paintings.
    Read more