Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Vang Vieng, Laos

    February 7, 2017 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    Vang Vieng is known for its location on the Nam Song River which attracts younger travelers looking to enjoy the scenery. It was a famous backpacker party spot up until recently when it become scrutinize in the news for numerous casualties from tubing/partying on the river. In 2012, this attention resulted in the Laos government shutting down almost every bar along the river, and all of their associates ziplines and rope swing . However a more tame tubing scene is still one of the main attractions in Vang Vieng. As floating the river was one of our favorite things to do in Texas on a hot summer day, we knew had to check it out. To get there we had to take a 4 hour minivan ride packed with 12 passengers and luggage strapped on top - a scenic drive and experience of its own.

    The tubing was fun but it was definitely not as fun as our Texas experience, although this was definitely more scenic. However we did enjoy making some new friends along the way with travelers from America, Canada, Germany, Scotland and France but it made us miss the good old days with our Texas friends.

    The rest of the time we spent relaxing at a riverside bar with huts above the water with a great view and good people watching of those tubing, kayaking and locals fishing. Other than that, we felt that the town was a bit too small, didn't offer much variety and was a little too populated with young Asian tourists so after two days we were ready for our next stop!
    Read more