Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Tokyo, Japan: Part 1

    March 6, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    What's the fastest way to get from Kyoto to Tokyo? Well, the bullet train of course! Traveling at 170 mph we reached Tokyo in 2 hours which would have taken at least 6 hours by car. It was a really fun experience traveling in the futuristic looking train and watching the scenery fly by. We were hoping to catch a glimpse of Mount Fuji on the way as well but unfortunately it was rainy and cloudy that day so we couldn't see it.

    Before we knew it, we arrived in Tokyo where we instantly noticed that the pace of life was different and that the people were definitely living the city life as they rushed by us in the train station. So to fit right in we quickly figured out the public transport system and caught the metro to our hotel that we'd be spending the night at. Although it was a bit outside the main tourist area we wanted to have the experience of staying at a capsule hotel which are popular in Japan. It is a unique setup where instead of a typical room you have little pods only big enough to sleep in. Our pod was a bit bigger than normal so it fit the two of us comfortably and it even had a tv. That evening we enjoyed a few store bought beers and American Ninja Warrior in Japanese while chilling in our pod for our first night in Tokyo!

    The next day we checked out of the capsule hotel to make our way to some more 'normal' accommodation for the rest of our time there. Although it was still small, as are all the hotels in Japan, it was functional and in a well connected part of the city. We spent the afternoon and evening walking around to some tourist sites including the observation deck on the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building where we saw endless views of the city and discovered that Tokyo is actually the largest populated city in the world, the Meiji Jingu Shrine and the Shibuya scramble crossing which is a chaotic but systematic 5 way intersection resembling Time Square with huge billboards and bright lights. It was fun to rush across the street with thousands of other people as soon as the light turned green and along the way trying to avoid running into them as well.

    After all the walking that day we treated ourselves to an amazing kobe beef dinner where we had probably one of the best steaks we've ever eaten in our lives. It was at a small family owned restaurant where we were lucky enough to get last minute reservations and had the best seats in the house; right in front of the stove top griddle where the steaks were cooked in the traditional Japanese way. It was well worth the money and next time we're in Tokyo we'll be sure to go back!
    Read more