Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    A day in Santiago getting our bearings

    January 31, 2018 in Chile ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    After a good sleep, it was time to wander around the city. Santiago is a mix of old and new, but in the heart of the city, the old dominates in the buildings and many cobblestoned streets. Typically of the Spanish influence, there is a major city square, bordered on one side the Catholic Church, and the City Hall on another. Occasionally there are small rallies in the square, but the police are usually there en masse - horseback, dog squad, mobile stations. Most people just seem to go about their normal day, coffee bars are a stand up affair. You buy a ticket for a coffee, then give the ticket to the waitress.

    We had hoped to see the Museum of Contemporary Art, but it is closed at present whilst a new exhibition is installed. We visited the Museum of Natural History instead.

    Still a bit tired from the flight, but getting some rest. Walked from one end of town to the other trying to get a local SIM card...not that easy. New regulations mean you can only get them from the main Telco office, but no need for ID, and you can buy as many as you need. A little Spanish helps. At least it was a great way to see the city.
    Read more