Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    North to Buenos Aires

    February 22, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    After three weeks in the south, time to head north to the warmer climate. The flight was delayed nearly three hours, but we are used to that. Unlike the American family on the flight as well, they are not seasoned travellers, and they thought a connecting flight within an hour of landing would save them having to wait around Buenos Aires. Wrong!

    Anyway, a chance to have some lunch. Last night we enjoyed some Argentinos beef...again. The food in Argentina seems more adventurous and flavoursome than Chile, but the cheese is all American. Oh well, cannot have everything.

    Interestingly, there are a lot of Malvinas - Argentina signs about in the south...border crossings, road signs. Seems the Faukland Islands are still a moot point. In 1976, Argentina tried to seize three islands from Chile in the Beagle Passage in Tierra del Fuego by suggesting they were more east than south, and so that gave them permission to take them. The International Court in London said no, the islands belonged to Chile. Fast forward two years and Argentina still did not want to accept the judgement, so they decided to seize them. Chile and Argentina were facing off across the Beagle Passage, ready to go to war, when seven hours before the deadline, the Pope decreed the islands indeed belonged to Chile...and in South America, the Pope’s word is infallible. War averted.

    Anyway, we landed in Buenos Aires, and booked in for three nights. Hardly any restaurants open here until 8 pm, then stay open till the wee hours of the morning.
    Read more