Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Tapas y canas

    November 7, 2015 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    For our last day in Malaga, we decided to indulge in tapas. We knew we would be challenged to stay vegan but how could we come to Spain and not eat tapas? After looking online for tapa bars that had good reviews, we set out to check them out.

    Our first stop was Bodega Quitapenas where we each had a tapa-size portion of seafood paella. For a tapa-size portion, it was very generous. A quick look around to the other patrons - mostly locals - revealed that we were not the only ones to be enjoying the scrumptious paella. At 2€ a serving, it's not hard to understand why.

    Our second stop was Bar Lo Gueno. We ordered a ratatouille that came topped with a quail egg and a bean dish that admittedly had flecks of ham or bacon in it. We found both tapas to be very tasty but rather oily. We're just not used to eating so much oil anymore.

    Our third stop was supposed to be Casa del Perro but it was closed so we circled back down towards the harbour to sit in the sunshine for a while. We dropped into the tourist information centre to ask where we could find an Internet cafe to print out our bus tickets and that led us to a part of town we had not explored previously.

    After taking care of business at the Internet cafe, we were just walking about when we noticed a billboard sign for Bar Copetin advertising free paella. Since Roch was still feeling a little peckish, we went to check it out. The bar was very no frills but what it lacked in decor, the owners made up for it with their warm hospitality. The hostess literally beamed as she offered us free paella which she promised was rich and delicious. Roch ordered a beer but I got a free tapa-size portion of paella even though I didn't order anything to drink. The paella was traditional style made with chicken and it was indeed delicious. After we each finished our share and were about to pay, the hosts insisted on offering us yet a third portion. It was hard to say no, especially since it was so yummy. So, for the price of a beer (1.50€), we got 3 free portions of paella. Well, it don't get better than that!
    Read more