Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    First impressions of Hungary

    July 4, 2020 in Hungary ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    It rained during the night, but stopped again in the morning, so we were lucky. We left the campground and headed in a Northeastern direction. Instead of going straight to Hungary, we wanted to stay in Slovakia a little bit longer.
    Soon, we went on one of these trails again... Difficult to see in the grass and very muddy due to all the rain. It was great fun riding as we had to use some technical skills especially for river and puddle crossings. But at the same time it was very strenuous because we also had to push through some mud sections. It took us quite a while to clean up the bikes and shoes afterwards to be able to continue the ride.
    The South of Slovakia appears to be considerably poorer than the North. Also, there's more people with darker skin colour and town names are written in 2 languages, Slowak and Hungarian. You can also see some German on advertisements.
    At some point, we reached a Slovakian village where we had our lunch stop at a supermarket. Here, we decided to cut our day shorter than originally planned. We found cheap accommodation on the Hungarian side, so decided to cross straight away. We almost missed the border sign which was hidden behind a tree.
    At our guesthouse, we received a Hungarian welcome. During the check-in, we had to drink a beer and a Palinka that the owner offered us. Next, some other guests invited us to their bbq where we had to drink more Palinka. Then, some friends of the owner as well as another cyclist group arrived. We had really fun night with everyone even ending up in a local pub to play some fussball. I guess it's gonna be fun with the Hungarians 😉
    Read more