Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Flat spinning

    July 25, 2020 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Enough time spent in the coastal area, it's time to get back to the mountains! Looking forward to a mosquito - free time again 😉
    We knew we had a long day ahead of us, so we left at 6:30am without breakfast. In Romania, almost every village, no matter how small, has a minimarket. They usually have tables, chairs and an umbrella for sun or rain protection. As the Romanians can't live without coffee, any store has a coffee machine where you can get pretty decent coffee for less than 1€. So that's where we had our breakfast stop after 25km.
    The next 80km were easy as the wind was in favor of us blowing strongly from Eastern directions. And as we could take mainly back roads, we didn't see many cars at all.
    At about 2pm, we arrived at the Danube River again. We went to a wild campspot indicated in one of our apps. The place was nice - theoretically - right at the Danube, shade from the trees and a hot spring for a bath. However, the Romanians love camping and it's Saturday, so the place was totally overcrowded and dirty. Too many people sadly leave their rubbish behind 😢
    We decided to go a bit further along the shore and found a quieter spot where we cooked lunch, went for a swim and relaxed for a while. There was a group of families camping next to us and they had a karaoke machine, so we were entertained.
    We could have camped here, but felt fresh after the bath and the food. Plus, the wind was still good for our direction. That's why we decided to go further and look for another wild campspot. In one of the villages, we saw people coming to the bar by horse cart. We've seen this before and could finally take a picture of the parked "car".
    Finding a place to camp was difficult, as everything is dead flat in this area and there's only very few trees or bushes. At some stage, we saw some grass and bushes and decided to pitch the tent there. 5 minutes later, the farmer and his 2 sons came with a tractor to work on the fields. We were worried, we had to find another campsite, but the farmers were super friendly and told us that it was no problem at all camping on their field. They were even interested in our trip and we had a fun conversation in sign language.
    Read more