Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    Rain in the Maldives

    September 20, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    To leave Dinizli, we had to go on the main road to Antalya. Luckily, traffic wasn't as bad as expected. The center of Turkey lies about 1000m above sea level with higher mountains all around. So today, we had to climb to get there. For the first time since the Bulgarian mountains, it was cloudy. So when we stopped for breakfast, we had to put on our jackets. The Shell gas station was a good choice as they sold proper coffee and had a comfy swing to relax.
    We continued our route and it cleared up. However, when we reached Salda Lake - or the "Turkish Maldives" - we already saw a thunderstorm nearby. We quickly visited the colourful beach and went to a restaurant when it started raining cats and dogs. At least we stayed dry and had some savory pancakes.
    When it stopped raining, we rode to another beach where it is allowed to camp and swim. However, swimming is not really what you do. When you enter the water, you sink in in the mud, so you have to be careful and fast. Afterwards, the ground gets harder, but it's only knee-deep. So we basically just had a bath to wash of the sweat.
    We also met Dimi and Alexandra, a Russian couple who have been in Turkey since February as they can't get back to Russia with their car due to border closures. They drove us to the next supermarket, so we could get a beer to enjoy with the lake view.
    Read more