Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    Bday presents

    September 21, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    The Turkish people are just amazing! We didn't have a spectacular route for Herbert's birthday this year, but some great experiences and lots of little bday presents. First, we stopped at a bakery to buy some bread. When the owner heard us speaking German, he invited us for a tea and he gave us another piece of pastry each for free. He had lived in Germany before coming back to Turkey 9 years ago.
    We continued for some 25km kilometres and stopped at a water spring to eat our breakfast. After some minutes, 2 gentlemen arrived and picked some plums for us from their tree. They got more chairs and sat next to us a the table although we couldn't really communicate (sign language has its limitations...).
    Later along the route, we wanted to buy some green pepper and tomatoes from a roadside stall. The owner was so impressed by our itenary that he packed us a whole bag of green peppers and also added a water melon. And he didn't want any money for it.
    So the last hill was quite exhausting for me as I had to carry all the extra food in my front panniers. However, we made it up the hill and could already see Eğirdir Lake, our destination for the night. We found a campground right at the beach, went for a swim and had dinner at this beautiful spot. Good there's quite some lakes in central Turkey, so we can still swim regularly so far.
    Read more