Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 140

    Mardin

    October 16, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    For breakfast, we got soup this morning. It was good, but definitely not enough for a day of cycling. So we bought bread at a bakery and had a second breakfast after just 15km.
    Shortly after, we stopped again. This time, Abdullah invited us for a coffee and some water. He insisted quite firmly, so we had no chance to decline the invitation. He spoke some German and told us proudly about his farm, explained that this region is mainly Arab and showed us videos of his daughter riding the horses on his farm.
    Just about 2 kilometres later, a family stopped us. They gave us maybe 2kg of grapes and a glass of green peppers. Just like that... In order to actually make it to Mardin today, we declined the upcoming invitations for tea 😂
    When we arrived in Mardin, we were very impressed. It's like an outdoor museum and a great setting for any Arab movies. Many old buildings, markets, spices everywhere. We checked into one of those stone house hotels and just walked around to discover this huge maze. Small streets, tunnels, stairs everywhere. A great city to wander around!
    In one street, we met Mehmet, a film director who invited us for coffee at his workshop. He also invited us to his apartment later to have tea on his terrace overlooking Mardin and Mesopotamia. Before, we had dinner and enjoyed some excellent Syriani wine from one of the roof top bars. Hard life!
    Read more