Satellite
Show on map
  • Climate in South-Africa

    July 11, 2019 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Why go on winter safari in Africa you’re thinking? Winter or Summer, it’s always a good time to go to South-Africa. Still the best timing for a safari is during winter (dry winter month from June to August) and spring (September to November).

    In winter animals are thirsty and gathering around water holes and rivers. Also, the grass is much smaller, so you'll have a better chance to spot animals. Last but not least: no mosquitos or insects during winter, because it's simply too cold for them. Western tourists as we are, we were very happy to ride during winter months.

    For those lovers of spring, from September to November the rivers start to flood again with water, providing nutrition and food to the animals and plants. The environment starts to floral with beautiful colours and new baby animals are born. Also, big recommendation.

    Looking at the climate in South-Africa, there is four options. When landing in Johannesburg, we’ll drive to Camp Davidson close by Matlapeng Reserve (3h), meaning we’re staying the Temperate Climate Zone. This means warm temperatures during the day (15 - 26 degrees Celsius) with rather cold nights (4 - 10 degrees Celsius). So, don’t underestimate the cold nights and pack some warm cloths.

    Tip: Looking back at the adventure, I would truly recommend some warm slippers (with sheepskin) to keep your feet warm in your lodges. After the horse riding, you'll be happy to slip into some comfortable shoes with warm socks.
    Read more