Satellite
Show on map
  • Safely arrived in South-Africa

    July 12, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    After our 7h flight, we made it to South-Africa. The flight was very comfortable as we were seated next to the emergency exit. We managed to sleep on the ground with our legs upright on the chairs. Imagine that image coping pasted by two: yes, we are twins, are we were doing exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, no picture from that.

    When entering the airport, it was already 8.30am, whilst we should have arrived at 7am. We contacted Laura from the agency via WhatsApp (free Wi-Fi here yes) to notify her from the long queues. Finally, at 9.45 we made it to her (almost 3h later).

    Surprising discovery: When entering the douane, each person is scanned by a facial heat sensor to check if you’re ill with low body temperatures. This could indicate you have a serious disease, potentially damaging this country. Think of deadly Ebola disease which is still residing in some African countries. Good initiative, but very strange feeling.

    Finally, we made it to the group. The driver Abraham was very nice and told us the group was complete now with about 10 riders. One member (Severine) even arrived the day before, so some were really excited to start of the journey. Off we went all together for a 3h drive to Horizon and Camp Davidson.

    Tip: Exchange your money in the airport, because there is no option to do it along the way. We exchanged each 100 EUR per person to South African rand (ZAR) and it was enough to cover the full trip. No need to get Botswana pula (currency Botswana, P) because the guides in Botswana accepted ZAR as well.

    Tip: No need to buy a local adapter, because Horizon SA and Botswana both have facilities with European plug (flat, two-pole, round-pin with 250 V). We did buy one, but never had to use it.
    Read more