Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    A Day of Magic

    October 4, 2017 in England ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    After a bit of confusion at Euston, we managed to get on the right train to Watford junction, where we met up with Em and TK. Finally got to go on a double decker bus (our ride to the Warner Bros Harry Potter studios).

    What an amazing amazing tour (with lots of interesting extra info through audio guides). Gave us a real appreciation of the sheer magnitude of people, talent and work involved in creating the movies. Very very impressive.

    Real props, sets and costumes. Photo opportunities galore. Took part in a battle with death eaters (hilarious and fun). Wandered through the Forbidden Forest and jumped on the Hogwarts Express. Of course we tried some Butterbeer too (yum but very sweet, one glass too much for one person).

    Giant and overwhelming gift shop at the end. Got a souvenir guidebook (freebie). 

    Overall a magical experience!

    Then headed home, for a quick rest and an early dinner before heading into town for Aladdin.

    Went to Aladdin at the Prince Edward theatre. Cheap seats but glad we didn't pay more. A good show and nothing wrong with it, but not up to the level of the other shows.

    They wouldn't even give us a booster seat as apparently they're for "children only" - note: Radi is still shorter than me on a booster seat. Speaking of children, two delightful kids behind us (under 5?) - talked through a lot of it (kind of understandable with them being kids). One kept coughing and kicked us once or twice which was delightful. Parents sadly weren't much better and were shushed by the usher. Thankfully got better towards the end (after some firm but polite words from Wade).

    Overall was OK - quite old school Disney and American. Genie was really really good though - Aladdin and Jasmine were average. Story was a bit simplistic, with average dancing and acting and cheesy humour. Kids seemed to really enjoy it though so that was good. Genie's main number definitely improved things. As did "A Whole New World"; it was stunning with the flying carpet and stars (still unsure how it was suspended) - looked real!

    Overall enjoyable (especially once the people behind us became a bit more considerate of others), and was good for making us appreciate the depth and talent of other shows more.
    Read more