Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    (Having a) Blast in Berlin!

    October 19, 2017 in Germany ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Late start. Train towards centre, then walked to Checkpoint Charlie. Lots of displays and related museums nearby, but didn't go in. Radi found a makeup shop - very cheap.

    Went to the Game Science Centre. €10 each. Had virtual reality and other games and things on display. Ones you can play with your eyes and stuff. Liked a tapping game where we both didn't realise the point of one round and both realised our mistake at the same time.

    Also designed a sand pit - had a camera over it so high areas looked red and low areas looked blue like water. So we could make a pretty scene. Was cool. Played pong invaders - like space invaders but you hit a table tennis ball against the screen. Quite fun especially when you both throw the balls to try and win (we got the 18th high score - it was hard, even with us cheating).

    Had a currywurst (better with the "spicy" sauce as it's less sweet). Went to the Christmas store and bought decorations. So hard to choose. Next stop, KaDeWe / Mall of Berlin (large fancy shopping mall). Not for shopping, just for the Lindt shop (discounted thanks to the Welcome card). Stocked up on chocolate and a hot chocolate too. Lots of flavours we don't see back home (including pistachio yay - we'll maybe yay, will see how it tastes).

    Then off to the memorial for the murdered Jews of Europe (yeah that's the actual name). You may know it - it's a massive block full of different sized grey pillars creating somewhat of a maze. Walking through makes you feel claustrophobic and lost, even with someone next to you. That's probably the point. Moving - gives you something to think about. Also managed to stop by the site of Hitler's bunker on the way.

    Then took a bus past the Berlin Cathedral (big and beautiful) to the DDR museum - to find out more about life in eastern Germany during the Cold War. An interim museum with a fair bit of interactivity. We learnt how to dance the Lipsi - a type of dance the GDR introduced to the public to try combat the increasing popularity of rock'n'roll (it failed rather miserably). We listened to some government approved music from back in the day (not as terrible as expected). Had a lot of fun in the model house and the digital display closet. It was interesting seeing what day to day life was like in that time.

    Then home for Turkish (from the same place as it was so good and cheap) and to return the board game. Packing time now (while watching some Crash Course history of the world).
    Read more