Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Journey to Prague

    October 20, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ 🌫 10 °C

    Checked out and made it to the Berlin train station 30min early. But train was cancelled (with no suggestions on why or what to do next). Fun.

    Got in a line and 10min later we were told that we could get a train 2hrs later. Bit unclear whether we need to reserve seats so into another line. This one much longer (including taking a ticket number - 1289 when the highest the board was showing was 1220...). Luckily we managed to talk to someone at the main reception after 15min or so - all OK to take the next train, but no way to reserve a seat. So it was first on, first served.

    Had some lunch before we left (thanks Welcomecard for yet another discount). Plain pretzels for Radi (feeling unwell). Cheese and vegetable pretzel, fried herring roll (with two large slices of thick onion) and Becks on tap for Wade. Delicious.

    Then to the platform slash scrum to get on. Made it on board but entire carriage was reserved so had to awkwardly back out in a narrow space with our backpacks on. Was awkward. Eventually found two seats in with two lovely older Germans going to Dresden and then Greece. Most of the train were 5 seat compartments (like Hogwarts Express) but also some random seats in the aisle... was weird but worked OK.

    Train trip had nice scenery - views of the Elbe and Vlatlava rivers, and a castle or two. Lots of smoke stacks once we got into Czech. Played a few rounds of Last Card.

    Made it to Prague and took tram to our accomodation. Walked past it a couple of times but got there eventually. Then up four floors to our place. Good so far although no toaster. And when we came back down for dinner, the auto light timed out just as entered into a little ante chamber between doors (with the front one being locked). Kinda spooky by pure chance.

    Giant mushroom pizza for dinner and bought some more Lotus spread as it is delicious. Then off to bed!
    Read more