Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Sightseeing Strolls

    October 21, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Decided to do a Rick Steve audio walk - downloaded for free and put on our phones. Got what we paid for. It was OK - maybe we just weren't in the mood. In any case listened to part of it while walking and learnt a bit of history - velvet revolution was interesting. Apparently jangling your keys was a symbol of overthrowing the Soviets.

    Saw the statue of King Wenceslas, and the more modern one of him riding an upside down horse suspended from the ceiling!

    Strolled around. Saw Henley's toy shop - pretty cool (for kids). Had lunch at a nice little Czech pub. Waiter was friendly. Got beer each - yum and cheap. And got a platter for two with roast duck, pork ribs, potato pancakes, gravy, sauerkraut and two other things that were nice but forgot what they were. Was nice. Lots of meat though, so felt a bit average after.

    Walked around more. Cute place, sometimes smelly (but so were Beijing and Berlín). Cobblestone streets nice. Will do more sightseeing later.

    Beer is everywhere. Mostly lighter lagers (pilsner of course) and mostly around NZD$2 or $3 for 300 or 500ml on tap.

    Walked over the Charles bridge. Packed with people (pedestrian only) and has various artists, sellers and performers. Cool vibe but few too many people for us. Might try it early morning. Prague has many bridges by the way.

    Got chimney bread at a little street market - good but not noticeably better or cheaper than the Wellington one so yay for Wellington. They also do it as a sort of cone for ice cream. Might try later but just looks difficult to eat - probably better to keep the two separate.

    Radi felt a bit under the weather so went home. Wade had leftover pizza for dinner. And more beer. Radi stuck to fruit.
    Read more