Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 103

    Eva Peron and Dulce De Leche

    December 15, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    Had lunch at Birkin cafe. Really good. Waffles with dulce de leche were yum and had some very green and foamy mint and ginger lemonade. Radi's meal deal of a salmon and veg pita hit the spot. Good tiramisù for dessert.

    Ran into a school friend of Radi's randomly - small world!

    Went to Evita museum. No photos inside. It was an interesting view (and with a strongly positive slant) on her role in Argentinian politics. It failed to mention a few home truths - but having since talked with our Tigre guide, maybe leaning towards her being necessary at that time in history (even if we would judge her differently now). She did a lot to help the working class, children and for women's rights. The museum had videos of her speaking to massive crowds, and it was clear she was beloved by many. The impact her death had on the populace was intense, seeing everyone crying and genuinely upset at her loss was pretty astounding. The line to see her body was huge (filled a big street and went down many many blocks).

    Most other days we haven't done much (definitely in holiday mode). Stayed in and read a lot of books. Quite hot most days. Nights are cool enough to venture out for dinners at least!
    Read more