Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 105

    San Telmo Market and El Ateneo

    December 17, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Decided to go into a bit more of a tourist mode today and check out some of the popular sites. Using the metro for the first time in Buenos Aires we headed to our first site.

    Saw the The Pink House (government house) and the balcony where Eva Peron gave her famous address to the masses (was pretty cool after seeing the video of her making the speech at the museum).

    Then wandered on to the San Telmo Market. It covers 1km with stalls crammed in on both sides of the street. Mixture of bric a brac, antiques, art, leather, food etc. A lot of the stuff got repetitive - but there was also some pretty cool stuff too (though it got a bit lost in the cheap mass produced stuff). Overall, nothing amazing, but an experience nonetheless.

    Onwards we went from there to a little Christmas shop. And boy were we in for a surprise when we found out how EXPENSIVE it was. Opted for a simple ornament and then high tailed it out of there.

    Took the metro back to our end of town to check out the El Ateneo Grand Splendid - a palatial theatre turned bookstore. Was definitely cool (a shame that the English book section was so small).

    Then home for relaxing evening!
    Read more