Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Day 3 - Sucre

    May 25, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today was the day the marching bands had been practising for so pretty much everything in the centre of Sucre was shut. We therefore decided that it would be a good day to visit Parque Cretacico, the dinosaur park. It was around an hour out of town so we set off in search of the micro. Micros are mini buses which serve as Sucre's bus network. You can flag them down absolutely anywhere and they don't always stop but instead just slow down enough for you to jump on them. It wasn't the most pleasant journey but they only cost around 20p so you can't really complain.

    Before we jumped on the bus we did manage to catch part of the parade and caught a glimpse of someone that could be the Bolivian President!

    The dinosaur park is right next to a cement factory and home to thousands of dinosaur footprints! These footprints were discovered by the cement factory, by accident in the early 90's.

    The footprints can be seen across a huge cliff face. As we all know dinosaurs were unable to walk up vertical cliffs however due to shifting tectonic plates, what was once a lake 68 millions years ago is now a near vertical limestone cliff.

    You can take a tour down to the bottom of the cliff to take a closer look at the footprints. From afar it's pretty impressive but when you get up close you realise how big the prints are. It was pretty cool!

    In the evening we went out for dinner at Joyride Cafe. Food in Bolivia is so cheap so we don't feel guilty about eating out.
    Read more