Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Cusco

    June 8, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The bus journey from Puno to Cusco came with a new surprise that we hadn't experienced before. Once on the bus we were all settled ready to go when a man came round and shoved a video camera in all of our faces. I believe it is a preventative measure against hijacking but even so it made us feel slightly on edge. We didn't get hijacked though and the bus journey was around 7 hours so we arrived in Cusco just after 3pm.

    When we arrived we went outside to grab a taxi to our hostel which was relatively easy. This was until the taxi driver asked us to move up so that 2 extra people could share our taxi. We weren't really sure about the situation however the extra 2 people were travellers like us so we went along with it. We had agreed a price of 15 soles upfront so I'm assumed that we would share the cost between the 4 of us. How very wrong was I! The driver wanted 15 from us and another 15 from them. Bloomin cheek! We really weren't in the mood to argue either after our long bus journey. I'm annoyed at myself for paying him but you have to pick and choose your battles.

    Hostels in Peru are pretty cheap so we have a private room in what is a pretty decent hostel. It even has hot powerful showers so I can finally wash my hair (there was no way I was washing it in the freezing cold shower in Puno!)

    We still had to pay the final balance for our Machu Picchu trek so we went in search of Lorenzo Expeditions. After that was sorted we went for a wander around the Plaza de Armas. Much to Simons delight we stumbled across a KFC so we treated ourselves to a KFC dinner. In Peru they sell a fizzy yellow drink called Inca Cola everywhere. It's fluorescent yellow! Intrigued by what it would taste like Si opted for that with his KFC. It was incredibly sweet and the only thing I can really compare it to is Irn bru.
    Read more