Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Wayalailai

    July 5, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Feeling rather refreshed after 11 hours sleep we both woke up and started to pack our bags to move islands. We headed to breakfast a bit earlier too as we missed out on baked beans yesterday!

    After breakfast we waited for the Yasawa Flyer which acts as a giant taxi between the islands. About an hour later we had landed on Wayalailai where we were greeted with more guitars and singing. After our introduction and welcome orange juice we were led up to our room which was unfortunately not as nice as we had been used to on Beachcomber. I think we may have been slightly spoilt there.

    We got changed and headed down to the area that has some sun loungers for an hour of tanning before lunch was served. We had breaded chicken, chips, salad and fruit. It all tasted really nice but was by no means hot. We then made our way down to the beach for some more tanning and a little swim.

    One of our activities on Wayalailai was a summit walk so we opted for the sunset walk as opposed to the sunrise walk which started at 4:30am. We left the village around 4:10pm when the sun was still beaming and made our way pretty quickly uphill. It wasn't long before we were wet through with sweat and panting out of breath. I thought this was supposed to be the holiday from all the trekking in South America! About an hour later and we had made it to the top. Needless to say it was well worth the trip! The views and the sunset were amazing and the new camera has lots of settings we could play with. Like all good things that go up we too had to come down however now the sun had gone and it was rapidly getting dark. We had our head torches and phone lights but it was a bit tricky in places. Luckily there were no major falls.

    We only had 15 minutes or so before dinner so we quickly jumped in the shower. It was made even quicker by the fact the shower was BALTIC. Tonight was a traditional Fiji night so on the menu was some lovo cooked food (which is a way of cooking it underground) with some nice salad and other bits. We sat down and couldn't locate any cutlery, we then looked around and realised everyone was eating with their hands. It was at this point I wished I hadn't put so much coleslaw on my plate!

    After dinner we were taught some dance moves similar to the Macarena but Fiji style and then we went on to play musical statues. It was all a bit strange but we went with it! After Blake fell for a trick to get us to move we were the first out. Normally I hate losing but it was only dancing and it meant we could sit down!
    Read more