Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 125

    Day 3 - Wellington

    August 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    The forecast for today was set to be the best so far in Wellington with sun and blue skies all day and that's exactly what we woke up too.

    We headed to a central spot to park the van and walked in search of a cable car station Blake had seen in one of the leaflets. The Wellington Cable Car is a funicular railway between Lambton Quay, the main shopping street, and Kelburn, a suburb in the hills overlooking the central city, rising 120m over a length of 612m. The journey up was pretty cool as it went through two tunnels with neon style lights making you feel like you were in some weird teleportation machine or something. Once at the top the view was incredible.

    To get back down we opted for the scenic walk through the botanical gardens and a graveyard which had some historical people, including their longest standing PM Richard Seddon. There were also a family buried there where 5 young children died in the space of 11 days due to Diphtheria. The parents were subsequently buried in the same spot when they died many years later.

    Once back in the city we decided to head for the Mt Victoria look out. Another spot to see the city but this time required us to walk up... great! We also took a quick stop to get some huge ice creams and a mooch around a market which had lots of tat that Blake wished she could buy!

    It was pretty steep getting up Mt Victoria and not a great move for Blake wearing her brand new and sparkling trainers as parts were pretty muddy. The view at the top probably trumped that of the cable car as you got a 360 degree view of the whole city.

    We made our way down and headed back to the van. We then drove back to our trusty Evans Bay Marina overnight spot. Tonight would be our last night on the North island.
    Read more