Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 124

    Day 2 - Wellington

    August 4, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Our day started with a tour of New Zealand's parliament building which was actually very interesting. We got to learn a little about New Zealand politics as well as learn about the building itself including how they have made the building earthquake proof (which is incredibly clever). Unsurprisingly we weren't allowed to take any pictures inside but the building was absolutely gorgeous. There is a mixture of architecture as it has burnt down a couple of times, but it has a very British feel about it.

    We got to go in the main chambers which has the same green carpet as the House of Commons as well as red in the upper house. New Zealand however doesn't actually use its upper house anymore (like our House of Lords) so it is now only used for events and for the Queen or her representative to welcome in the new party after an election.

    In the afternoon, we had a mooch around the town centre including the famous Cuba Street. Cuba Street is full of amazing quirky shops so we did some window shopping and fantasied about buying all the things we can't afford. We did however have a couple of things that we did need to buy. After wearing the same small selection of clothes for 4 months straight we are starting to look a little trampy. We are going with this however there are a couple of bits that we just couldn't cope with anymore. One of which is Simons jeans which had a HUGE hole in so we got him some new jeans. The second was some trainers for me as mine now have massive holes in each of them. After spending lots of money that we didn't really want to spend, we went back to the van and played some cards, before watching some more Netflix.
    Read more