Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 139

    Dunedin

    August 19, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    After a lazy breakfast we headed into the centre of Dunedin for a day of exploring. Dunedin is a strange city and reminds me of a cross between Plymouth and Bristol. Like Bristol, there are a lot of Victorian buildings and graffiti but then driving into the centre I felt like I was driving into Plymouth, very strange. It was also really quiet and there was hardly anyone around considering it was a Saturday. We later found out that it was because it was the day that people roll Jaffas down the steepest street in Dunedin so that may explain it (we are also completely gutted that we missed this). More about this coming up in a later post.

    We found a graffiti arts map in one of the leaflets we picked up so we set off in search of the various pieces. Some of them were incredible! After a picnic lunch on the Octagon which is in the centre, we had a look around the art gallery as it was free. There was some very strange art in there and I'm not going to lie I didn't really understand any of it.

    Our next stop was the railway station which is apparently one of the most photographed railway stations in the world so thought it would be worth a look. After marvelling at its grandeur and a quick snap we headed back to the van and parked up for the evening in a pub car park (which we were allowed to do may I add). This worked out particularly well for Simon as the All Blacks were playing Australia and this particular pub was showing the match so after dinner we headed into the pub for a pint and to watch the ruggers. Simon really enjoyed the game and I particularly enjoyed the free wifi the pub had to offer!
    Read more