Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 138

    Queenstown - Dunedin

    August 18, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We had a long drive ahead of us today to Dunedin so we had a quick breakfast and were on our way. We had heard on the news that the water supply in Dunedin has been contaminated so residents have had to boil their water before they can drink it for the last few days. We therefore made a quick stop to fill up on water before we left Queenstown. We also filled a couple of empty milk cartons and all our water bottles just in case.

    It was another scenic drive with a lunch stop by a lovely lake en route. We had found a nice free spot just outside Dunedin and we arrived just after 4pm. It was a bit of a bumby road to the camp spot though. The comments on our Campermate app which tell us where all the camping spots are had mentioned to avoid a particular road if you didn't have great power to weight ratio. It was just one comment though and I figured that as we were only in a ford transit and not a huge motorhome we would probably be ok. Halfway along this road we discovered that wasn't the best decision. It was an incredibly steep and very bumby road essentially through the middle of farmers fields and it went on forever! At one point we stalled on a particularly steep hill and I thought we were going to be stuck there. After the third or forth attempt we made it although the smell of the fresh county air had been replaced the sweet smell of clutch! We were so happy when we reached a normal road again! I will have to make sure to comment on the app that under no circumstances should anyone attempt that road in anything other than a 4WD!

    Having spent the entire day in the van we were keen to get out for some fresh air so we went for a little walk along the beach which was really nice. We then sat and watched the sunset with a cup of tea and some gingernut biscuits. It's moments like this that we realise just how lucky we are. We are only half way through our trip and this is one of many incredible sunsets and sights that we have seen so far.
    Read more