Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 187

    Agnes Water

    October 6, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    After a terrible nights sleep in the bus being woken up with lights and an announcement every time the bus stopped, we finally made it to Agnes water around 6.15am. We hopped on the hostel minibus and made our way with a few others to the 1770 Southern Cross hostel.

    We had a short wait for reception to open but when it did we were able to eat breakfast and check in which was good. After some toast and a shower we began to feel slightly human again. I don't think I had more than the clean clothes on my back left (and they weren't particularly clean) so we headed straight to town to find the laundromat and supermarket. By the time the next bus came to pick us up it was lunchtime so we fixed up some food before the tiredness hit us and hit us it did. We booked a super exciting activity for the afternoon called Scooter Roo but before we went anywhere we decided to have a nap.

    The alarm went off and it took us both a little while to shake off the grogginess but it was Scooter Roo time! Scooter Roo was a 3 hour motorbike ride on 50cc motorbikes that looked like American style choppers. We were kitted out with our flame leather jackets and helmets before making our way over to the practice track. It was quite a tight circular track with a chopper style bike but after a few laps we both gained our confidence. Blake had to do quite a few extra practice laps as never having ridden a bike before, it took a little longer to sink in. With only one crash into the barrier under her belt and someone getting on the back of her bike to demonstrate leaning, we were ready to ride!

    There were around 20 of us in total and we all headed out of the gate in single file. I felt like I was in an episode of Sons of Anarchy. After negotiating some turns and a couple of hills where we had to hit it full throttle to reach the top we eventually made it to a road where we saw our first kangaroo and there were LOADS! We even saw one effortlessly jump over a fence to avoid us. After around two hours of riding we stopped at the harbour of 1770 for some preordered potato wedges which by that time were well needed. We let the food go down, had a quick team photo and then made our way back to the hostel passing some more kangaroos en route. Blake even saw a snake in the road which she had to swerve so that she didn't run over it. It was an awesome tour and we both felt very badass in our leather jackets. Blake even enjoyed herself, after she got over her initial fear that she was going to die.
    Read more