Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 186

    Airlie Beach

    October 5, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Someone was a little bit hungover this morning as he may have stayed up a bit later than everyone else. Despite this, our morning wake up call had us out of bed by 7am. Before breakfast, we had to pack our things and strip the beds as we were heading back to Airlie Beach. Before we started the long journey back however, we had one more chance to do some snorkelling. The conditions weren't the best as the water was yet again a bit murky. There were a few fish but they weren't the easiest to see but when we were just about to give up and get in the boat someone spotted a turtle. Apparently this particular turtle, named Terry, is quite often hanging around here. She was super chilled and she happily swam close to the surface whilst we swam along next to her. It was the closest we had gotten to a turtle and it was absolutely incredible. I love how calm and tranquil they are. We could have followed her for ages however 2 people had already been stung by a jellyfish so we decided enough was enough and got out.

    Everyone got in a final couple of hours of sunbathing on the boat whilst we headed back to shore. It was an amazing couple of days and there were some lovely people on the boat which was great. Bex, Kate and Steve were also fantastic. It really was an unforgettable trip. Unfortunately the go pro didn't make it.

    Back on dry land, we headed to a bar which did $10 steak and chips for some lunch with a few of our boat fwends! We then had an exceptionally long amount of time to kill until our bus at 9pm. I had also come up in severe heat rash so sitting out in the sun was no longer an option. Instead, we went to the pharmacy where they gave me some really strong antihistamines and then spent the afternoon sitting in the shade.

    For dinner, we treated ourselves to a nice meal out followed by some Cold Rock Ice Cream. I opted for a courgette pasta with vegetables in a tomato sauce and Si had butter chicken curry. Both were delicious and exactly what we needed before our bus journey.

    Around 8pm, we wandered down to the bus stop and waited for the Greyhound. Our next stop is Agnes Water which is 9 hours away. Here's hoping we manage to get some sleep on the bus otherwise it's going to be a long night.
    Read more